Re: Photography with Elementary Students

From: tom johnsen (koordt)
Date: Tue Aug 15 2000 - 05:51:59 PDT

    kkrain wrote:

    > Every year we do a different "genuine art" project with the kids. This
    > year's medium is Photography.

    This year I am using a fundamental theme throughout the year for all of my
    classes. I'm going to make this one "Self-Portrait". We're going to approach
    the subject of "Self" as a developing, spiralling entity which at the core is
    ourselves as individual, and which spins outward to include the community in
    which we live, and further to the community in which we have no direct
    knowledge (and in which we would make no direct contact.)

    I am still unprepared to teach silver-nitrate photography darkroom
    techniques, so I am going to the site council to ask for funds to buy enough
    disposable cameras for an at-home project, patterned after a project made
    many years ago in Ukiah called the People's Portrait, in which cameras were
    given to members of a community who wanted to participate. They took pictures
    of their neighborhoods, interests, things, landscapes, etc., and after
    developing, everyone collected together to develop captioning, titles, and
    talk about their experiences (and in the process develop community awareness
    and pride.) this makes it especially good for classroom use.

    The school community then will become part of this program when I mount a
    display in the quad with matted photographs--maybe some will be scanned and
    printed larger--these things develop according to their own innate
    needs--ain't that the fun part of our job?

    Kinder kids might be wonderful at this. I encourage you to "let'em have it!"

    Tom in Potter

    ---