Re: Art Clubs

From: JoAnHeiman
Date: Tue Aug 15 2000 - 02:53:23 PDT

    Dear Phyllis,
        Finally I feel I can actually contribute something! I ran two art clubs
    every year at my previous school. Gr. 7 and 8 belonged to the National
    Junior Art Honor Society which we joined through NAEA. I averaged 20 students
    over the years. Meeting once a week for an hour after school, we tackled
    larger, more in depth projects and crafts such as batik, dimensional clay
    tiles etc. Parents were tapped as special guests-you'd be surprised at all
    the talent out there. I capitalized on our local museum's special exhibits.
    Tours were arranged for after school or days off with parent drivers. We
    toured a local foundry after a tour of bronze sculptures at the museum.
    Another time a local jeweler showed us the behind the scenes workings of
    design and creation of his wares after the Faberge exhibit tour. Students
    served as guides and demonstrators at our yearly art show and helped with
    Grandparents day. Many worked on portfolios for high school when special
    projects were completed. It was fun and there was more but this is way too
    long-sorry. (Gr. 4,5 and 6 last year met another day once a week and worked
    on the Mars Millennium Project which was a great success) Good luck you will
    have great fun! I will miss it- I have changed jobs and will only have Gr.
    K-6. But perhaps......
    Annamae

    ---