Re: 6 graders getting grades for art......(Bunki)

From: Janjarreau
Date: Mon Aug 14 2000 - 22:36:45 PDT

    Thanks Bunki for the warning. My biggest class is 28, but today was my first
    day and they stuck in another 6th. grade class (45 min.) without me knowing I
    would get it. Today was A day so tomorrow it will all be repeated (B day)
    except with new classes. I found out I have the 6th. grade schedule and the
    7&8th. grade schedule which is way different. This is why they cannot keep
    art I teacher there. I had 1 free hour today. My classes are a 7&8th. grade
    (95 min) class, a 6th grade (45 min) class, a 90 min. planning period (only
    had 1 hr.), two back to back 45 min. 6th. grades classes and a 7&8th. grade
    95 min. class. Oh yeah, my 6th. graders are in blocks so I will get a new
    batch in the spring.
        What I guess I really need is some quick lessons for my 6th. graders.
    All of my students seem wonderful so far. I spent all day going over
    procedures, rules, discipline, supplies. I am cool with teaching, but I
    would have liked to have been told about the 5 classes. Really I have 10
    total classes over a 2 day period. What do yall think?
    Thanks,
    Janice

    In a message dated 8/13/00 11:25:27 PM Central Daylight Time,
    bkramer.us writes:
    > when you have 34-36 kids in your class, you better
    > be a damn good diciplinarian if you don't give grades. They catch on quick,
    > and thankfully they're still 6th graders, but they STILL know the
    > difference...and you will too. Trust me!>
    > You might try doing what I did anyway last year. I posted "grades"
    > (A,B,C,D,F) in my room so kids would know what they would have made. It
    > didn't make the actual bubbled grade sheet but EACH student knew where they
    > stood in my class. Also gave them a taste of how I would grade them. When I
    > started doing that, they still felt like I was "grading" them and it helped
    > with some of the problems.
    >
    > Toodles....

    ---