re: 1st day of school (kinder)

From: Teri Mason (terily)
Date: Mon Aug 14 2000 - 19:52:42 PDT

    With my Ks, I do a line activity. I feel that the line is the basic
    tenet they need to learn to start learning and exploring art. Plus,
    they have been hearing about lines all day (as in line up to go here,
    there, wherever). So we look at a book called Lines (don't remember the
    author... bought it at the MoMA last year). We talk about the different
    kinds of lines and we see if we can find any in the room. Since we have
    a 50 minute period, sometimes we go on a "line hunt" around the school
    (outside) and they call out when they see a line (on the sidewalk,
    between the bricks, etc) and tell me what type it is (curved, straight,
    etc). Finally, we go inside and make different line designs. In the
    past, I've let them paint with chubby brushes, but since many don't have
    the coordination to do this (and the whole painting procedure takes a
    long time, with aprons, water cups, how to hold a brush, etc), this year
    I'm going to use finger paint. We save these in their portfolios and
    they enjoy seeing how far they've come at the end of the year. I may
    even do an animal, like a fish, and have them make curved scales,
    straight eye lashes or whatever. We'll see... they come on Thursday so
    I guess I'd better decide ;-)

    teir

    ---