Re: sketchbooks

From: Michelle H. Harrell (michelle_h_harrell)
Date: Mon Aug 14 2000 - 17:38:48 PDT

    Someone brought out the point that some students might not be able to afford
    sketchbooks. I required that everyone buys a sketchbook at my middle school
    and this year at the high school but I still bought about 10 sketchbooks to
    give to some students on the sly. I didn't advertise that I was doing this
    because I knew it would embarrass those students. It wasn't really that
    these kids couldn't afford a $2 sketchbook but that their mama worked
    mid-night shifts and they could never get a ride to get their materials.
    Just from my experience, students take more pride in sketchbooks that were
    purchased that cheaply made ones out of construction paper. Then again,
    I've known some teachers to really go into an all out bookmaking project for
    the cover of their sketchbook- this could be nice. Michelle

         How young can students start keeping a sketchbook............and any
    ideas for the schools in "poor" districts where the students may not be able
    to afford a sketchbook???