Re: Teachers who sell their work

From: artrageous
Date: Mon Aug 14 2000 - 15:42:33 PDT

    I'm a teacher (5-12) and I've also done commissioned portraits (and other
    commissioned work) for the last 25 years. Summers are the only time I have
    to do commissioned work, and this summer I took on more than I can get
    finished before school starts....

    I also designed and sold counted cross-stitch kits years back when I was
    trying to stay home with my kids after I divorced (in '87).

    But between teaching and my kids, there's really NOT a lot of time to do
    non-commissioned work. There's not a whole lot of time to do anything
    that's really expressive or personally significant or "artistic." While I
    have a lot of energy and a lot of interests, I also have a lot of
    responsibilities. I think most working mom artists probably deal with this,
    and that's probably why more men (going on San D's theory) than women can
    successfully juggle both teaching and being an artist who is involved in
    marketing their work. (The marketing can add a whole 'nother set of
    responsibilities, with big time commitments, too!)

    Sharon
    EMAIL: artrageous
    AIM: SKBK56, ArtrageousSBK, & others

    ---