Re: and they destroy it!!!

From: Teri Brudnak (tbrudnak)
Date: Mon Aug 14 2000 - 02:23:30 PDT

    But, I should have labeled every plant in our courtyard, with a do not
    weed
    whack sign.

    Our lovely courtyard, which took many thousands of dollars in grants and
    four
    years, which is going to weeds because the parents are not allowed into
    the
    school on weekends to weed and water and tend, was weed-whacked! Gourds,
    flowers, herbs, native woodland plants, all weed-whacked.

    What a loss.
    Leslie in Framingham

    Dear Leslie,
    Sounds like the same tale I can relate. I had bare dirt in the areas
    around our patio area (all the art room windows face a small courtyard).
    On my own, with my own money, I planted the area with ornamental
    grasses, jade trees and succulents (we have no sprinkler system). I came
    back to school one day and the tall ornamental fountain grasses had been
    whacked to the ground. They looked nothing like weeds--they were tall
    and graceful. Our parent foundation had hired a team of so-called
    gardeners to clean up the grounds. Part of the problem is that in
    Southern Calif. anyone can pick up a weed wacker and we get a lot of
    people who set up gardening businesses who only know how to slash and blow.

    Needless to say, this year, I planted leftover cactus from my yard and
    agave as well as a dragon tree. I think rosemary would be a good ground
    cover--I've heard it keeps away evil spirits!!!

    Sick and tired of being sick and tired....of the idiots we have to work with!!!
    Teri B.

    ---