Sausage Man

From: mscurfield (mscurfield)
Date: Mon Aug 14 2000 - 09:12:40 PDT

    The "sausage man" is a figure drawn with ovals (and a trapazoid for the upper body). It's a way to look at proportion and then how to show movement in the figure. Draw the head with an oval. The upper body is one and a half heads high (trapazoid). Hips are a circle--one head high. Legs are three heads high, but drawn with two long thin ovals (hence the term sausage). Arms to wrists come to where legs meet hips--I have them feel this in their own bodies. Fingertips come to mid thigh. Arms are two even thinner ovals than the legs. Feet are about one head long. Then I bring out my picture file of sports figures and they draw the sports figure with the sausage man technique--to create movement. This will be an intro to Olympic Sports Figures and creating themselves in clay as a modern day or Ancient Greek olympian.

    Hope this helps,
    Marcia, Derby, KS

    ---