Re: new art teacher

From: KLMVisArt
Date: Mon Aug 14 2000 - 07:12:59 PDT

    Charlotte,
         What grade level do you teach? If you are an elemntary art teacher, how
    about "What's Special About Me?" as a theme. My cooperating teacher shared
    this with me. I use Degas and Manet as exemplars, but you could choose any
    reproductions you have showing a skill (musicians, dancers, sporting event,
    painter, etc.). It ia a nice way to get to know the students' interests.
    That of course helps in the weeks to come when you need to make a connection
    to something. Keep them in portfolios or on hand/or display so you can refer
    back to them. This really helped during my first year when I had a few
    children who went through emotional difficulties. Being able to ask them
    questions about their hobby or interest seemed to reopen the door on
    difficult days...
    Best of luck!
    Kerry
    (let me know if you are looking for ideas with older ones)

    ---