Re: 6 graders getting grades for art......

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer.us)
Date: Sun Aug 13 2000 - 21:12:31 PDT

    from: Bunki Kramer (bkramer.us)
    Los Cerros Middle School
    968 Blemer Road
    Danville, CA 94526
    ************************
    >I was looking at it like an art appreciation situation
    > since the next semester they will go to music and the music kids will come to
    > art. I was thinking it would help them decide next year what they would like
    > to take.
    ***********************

    I agree that that philosophy of "deciding what they will want to take next
    year" and "this is just a taste of what you will have in art next year if
    you take it" looks good on paper. That's been our practice in the 11 years
    I've been at this school but last year was a trial run with no grades and it
    was an eye opener. AND...when you have 34-36 kids in your class, you better
    be a damn good diciplinarian if you don't give grades. They catch on quick,
    and thankfully they're still 6th graders, but they STILL know the
    difference...and you will too. Trust me!

    You might try doing what I did anyway last year. I posted "grades"
    (A,B,C,D,F) in my room so kids would know what they would have made. It
    didn't make the actual bubbled grade sheet but EACH student knew where they
    stood in my class. Also gave them a taste of how I would grade them. When I
    started doing that, they still felt like I was "grading" them and it helped
    with some of the problems.

    Toodles....

    ---