Re: lessons for pre-k

From: Jhirunrtx
Date: Sun Aug 13 2000 - 18:34:49 PDT

    I used to teach pre-school and last year did art with a pre-school class at
    one of my elementary schools. I focused on colors, shapes, and texture. We
    did sponge painting with shape sponges, gluing tissue paper (colors) onto a
    picture of an animal from an Eric Carle book, we finger painted, mixing
    colors in the process, We even did clay plaques with air dry clay, cookie
    cutters and all kinds of things to make texture. Texture rubbings are good.
    I use a lot of flannel board stories and books with my lessons to start the
    ideas rolling. I also took in prints that had primary and seconday colors,
    gave them squares of colored construction paper and had them place them over
    the same colors they saw in the painting. I did the same with shapes. I
    brought in American Gothic and told them it was Old Mcdonald and we sang the
    song before doing our spongs painted animals. Cutting activities and tearing
    would be good skills for them to practice. I love teaching this age. Good
    luck. Janet

    ---