Greek...art and math

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer.us)
Date: Sun Aug 13 2000 - 13:55:17 PDT

    from: Bunki Kramer (bkramer.us)
    Los Cerros Middle School
    968 Blemer Road
    Danville, CA 94526
    ************************

    From: "mscurfield" <mscurfield>
    The Greeks had a broader comcept of symmetry than the bilateral symmetry
    that we associate with the term. Symmetria meant "same measure" and
    hence--order, balance, harmony. Spartans are Greeks and we are going to
    see how the roots of our knowledge come from Ancient Greece. Marcia, Derby,
    KS

    ************************
    Hi, Marcia.....We owe the Greeks quite a bit for our math development. They
    were probably our most important source actually. The wealthier,
    academically inclined Greeks used to sit around and ponder how to use ONLY
    the simple tools of compass and straight-edge to solve ANY mathematical
    question. They even went so far as to say they could solve any problem with
    a RUSTY COMPASS...or one set tightly at one setting...and a straight-edge.
    You can made perpendicular lines this way to show an example.

    This works nicely into a RUSTY COMPASS project using a compass set at one
    setting throughout plus a straight-edge (or ruler). Once the non-objective
    drawing is drawn, you can go over the pencil lines with Elmer's glue, dry,
    cover the lines with gold, silver, or bronze perm. ink pens, and blend the
    inside shapes with pastel. Spray with matte clear spraypaint. Toodles.....

    ---