AOL

From: KPRS (kprs)
Date: Sun Aug 13 2000 - 11:58:35 PDT

    One of the reasons why schools don't put in AOL is because kids really
    spend all
    their time on instant messaging and NOT fully utilizing the search
    engines. I am
    always shocked when I take my high school students to the computer lab
    to do
    research and they look at me like I have a third eye. They do NOT have
    the skills
    to do proper research on the web because of their dependence on AOL.
    They don't
    know how to access search engines, library resources, or even search the
    web and
    'scratch' around to look for other things. But stick AOL on and all
    they want to
    do is email and instant message, or play games. AOL is NOT your friend
    in that it
    steers you to their sponsors and websites that are their
    "colleagues"(for lack of a
    better word).

    Oh! and teachers don't fare any better. In fact they ask me to find
    things for
    them because they know I love the challenge, meanwhile they go back to
    EBAY or
    their stock quotes.

    San D

    Woody Duncan wrote:

    > You don't need AOL to access the internet. If you are on line via an
    ISP
    > or your district server you can just use Netscape or Internet Explorer

    ---