Target folders and Greek "Symmetria"

From: mscurfield (mscurfield)
Date: Sun Aug 13 2000 - 11:30:32 PDT

    Dear Holly and all--

    Glad you agreed with me that they will make good sketchbook covers. I bought 200--for all my fourth and fifth grades. Our first lesson will be to make a kaleidoscopic name design--using radial symmetry--to glue on the front. I thought I could make handouts--our first will be on figure proportion--the "sausage man"--and they can keep them in the sketchbooks.

    After attending a super Art and Math conference at Southwestern College in Winfield, Kansas this summer--Bridges: Mathematical Connections with Art, Music, and Science--I've decided our theme for the year is "Seltzer Spartans have Symmetria". The Greeks had a broader comcept of symmetry than the bilateral symmetry that we associate with the term. Symmetria meant "same measure" and hence--order, balance, harmony. Spartans are Greeks and we are going to see how the roots of our knowledge come from Ancient Greece.

    Sincerely,
    Marcia, Derby, KS

    ---