Re: sketchbooks ( folders @ Target)

From: E Jane Beckwith (ejb35)
Date: Sun Aug 13 2000 - 07:02:59 PDT

    Holly112, I am a middle school teacher in NYC. Last year was my first year. I
    have the good fortune to be in a school with a Magnet Arts program. The
    neighborhood is one of NYC's poorest, most violent. Families don't have money. I
    use all the scrap paper the secretaries and scheduling offices will give me! I
    make a big point of talking to students about planning, how artists do a lot of
    doodling thinking before embarking on a project, because for almost all artists,
    supplies of "good" materials are precious. My Project Arts coordinator in school
    has been wonderful. He lets me be the one to go to the District Office for the
    monthly meetings. I have met most of the art, music, dance, drama teachers in
    the district this way. I also LOVE my Project Arts Director. I go to her
    workshops after school, along with other workshops held at the District Office,
    especially those for technology training. The Project Arts Director has been a
    mentor and a "mom" during my tough first year (Though she and I are the same
    age) So find out about these resources in your school and district and hook in.
    You will probably have $200 in Teachers Choice money to spend. You will be
    reimbursed for what you spend in December. Think before you buy and use the tips
    (as you are doing!) from our wonderful list. If you want to communicate further,
    send me a private, non list, email at e

    ---