Re: Mail Art Exchange

From: E Jane Beckwith (ejb35)
Date: Sat Aug 12 2000 - 15:49:20 PDT

    I have already responded that mail art interests me, but I would like to know if
    anyone is interested in the history of mail art? Dada, Fluxus and especially Ray
    Johnson are 20th century examples. When I lived in England, I was able to see
    some very early mail art. Even in the days when MPs "franked" mail by writing
    where we now have stamps, people decorated envelopes. Also, we see stamps as
    tiny works of art and the Postal seems to come up with more and more attractive
    commemoratives. Maybe a lesson on what you might like to commemorate with a
    stamp...Ray Johnson made his own stamp (I bought a sheet a couple years ago when
    the Whitney held a retrospective). So, mail art as mail art. No particular
    subject. Anyone interested in exploring t

    ---