Re: food art

From: msqu (msqu)
Date: Sat Aug 12 2000 - 10:13:12 PDT

    Dawn,
        I'm very protective of my art time so I try to stay away from gimmicky
    projects that have little sustance. One that I do occassionally is a
    sculpture lesson. I talk about positive ans negative space in sculpture. We
    look at some sculptural designs, then I put out pretzel sticks, various
    crackers, graham crackers,mini marshmellows, peanut butter, etc. Their
    assignment is to build a sculpture. After we critique, the students have to
    eat their sculpture without touching it. They put their hands behind their
    backs and lean over. I take photos of this. Note: Students don't have to eat
    entire sculpture. This is really a lot of fun. Kids love it and they learn
    from it. I do it with second grade.
    Martha

    ---