Re: complain, complain, complain

From: Marand10
Date: Sat Aug 12 2000 - 08:32:19 PDT

    Word to the wise....Leave a note on anything that is pending, being held for
    someone, or part of a permanent gallery as we see it or else you run the risk
    of all kinds of "happenings".

    We are very sensitive to our student's art.....Every year that I taught I
    would select and have parent permission to honor and frame two originals for
    the school HALL gallery from EACH grade level (one male, one female
    artist).....now mind you, this gallery was in nooks and crannies where
    students and parents would enjoy something special as well as the main
    office. I honored the children at the "end of the year" awards assembly and
    had a very nice gallery throughout the school after 11 years prior to moving
    away. (custom framed no less....)

    The next year after moving, I went back to visit and nowhere to be found were
    the custom framed by me, the art teacher, , paintings, weavings, drawings,
    batiks, etc. etc. WOW...what a heartache that was...but I just "let it go"
    and had the memories in my mind and heart of how those children felt to
    receive the honor of having their artwork selected. The artwork was NOT
    necessarily based on merit but rather motivation and excitement shown
    throughout the year.

    My point....................EDUCATE while you're at the school about the
    importance of these murals.....the politics do come into play not only when
    we're at the school but even when we retire. I had hoped to return
    occasionally and see the work and reiminese (sp) OH
    WELL........................someone UP THERE didn't appreciate the visual
    arts after all.

    Marty

    ---