Re: 5 Most Influential Artists

From: KLMVisArt
Date: Fri Aug 11 2000 - 20:39:10 PDT

    Dennis,
       Great point on the Eurocentric aspect. I still thought it was fun to
    sleep on the decision. I guess I really am ready to go back to school! I
    looked at the question as a fun challenge...
    da Vinci for inventiveness and thinking outside the box

    Cassatt because Impressionism displayed a reaction to technology (hence
    making ties to what we are doing in the present- could have been Monet but we
    needed an American and a woman- and Cassatt's images of family life ties in
    well at the elementary level...)

    Picasso- for breaking ground over and over again that lead to so many others
    being able to do so...

    van Gogh, for the expression and sutability of much of his subject matter to
    my grade level (K-5)

    Matisse, because children delight, as I do, in the beaut(dangerous term, I
    know...) of his use of elements of design- I want to teach COLOR, line, and
    shape beginning in kindergarten. They love his work! If they are excited by
    and connect with him- HE STAYS!

    Kerry

    Can I add a 6th? WALASSE TING!!!

    ---