Re: Ceramic Glazes - any recommendations?

From: Dennis Freeman (freemad)
Date: Thu Aug 10 2000 - 19:43:43 PDT

    on 8/11/00 5:01 AM, Felsecker at felsecker wrote:

    I teach at the high school level and would like to know more about the
    hand-mixed glazes....does it take alot of time and don't you have to be
    pretty careful when mixing?
    BF

    It probably takes less time than ordering & then labeling, etc. factory
    glazes. Yes, you do have to measure accurately, but a triple-beam gram
    scale will take care of this - my students (HS) do this successfully after
    some training. Time is relative - I don't begrudge time which is spent
    learning, and making glaze, mixing & screening it is a learning opportunity,
    along with making / pugging clay, loading & unloading kilns & studio
    maintenance, all of which my students handle on rotating crews. There are
    some great books out there on glazes for various temps. The real hang-up is
    getting started, since you have to buy many raw materials, often in 25# or
    50# sizes. Hope this is helpful. What temp are you planning on firing to,
    and how many pottery classes do you teach? I teach 5 sections of clay (8 at
    our school overall), so this makes glaze mixing practical - it might not be
    if you are only teaching 1 or 2 sections. - Dennis in Wyo.

    ---