Re: 5 Most Influential Artists

From: henry taylor (taylorh)
Date: Thu Aug 10 2000 - 18:46:22 PDT

    Re: 5 Most Influential ArtistsI very much agree Dennis. In fact very little of the world's art reflects much of anything European... Except when discussed by the inheritors of European culture. It's incredibly easy to duck the issue because the textbooks haven't made a anything near a decent effort yet; and neither did our Art Ed education. ***Professors take note!*** (Interestingly enough my Interior Design education DID do a much better job of preparing me to discuss art from many other cultures and to recognize artists and eras.)

    As to the "anonymous artists and groups" that's one way to look at it. WE don't know who they were. Actually the artists were probably pretty well known and recognized in their communities. They just didn't and don't live in a context that encouraged(s) them to seek international wealth and fame. They were responding not to intellectual, academic, or journalistic critics informing their public on how to experience and value art but to a community of people who unashamedly made aesthetic things themselves (perhaps not in any way as well) and who the artist did not feel isolated or alienated from (no "lonely individual on the edge" except in our fantasies) --people who felt comfortable experiencing and valuing things without the mediation of a priest-like caste of critics.

    -henry
    (still prefer leo to michael ;-)

    ---