Re: gluing

From: Sages7
Date: Thu Aug 10 2000 - 13:10:38 PDT

    In a message dated 08/10/2000 10:53:25 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
    terily writes:

    << his year I've decided to give up on teaching Ks to glue. >>

    I decided a few years ago to buy small round plastic containers with lids
    that go on them. I keep a small amount of glue in them and use those for all
    of my k-5 students. I always spend ample time with my kinders on the "pinkie
    method" I have them identify their pinkie finger and then I show them how to
    get an "itsy bitsy teenie weenie drop of glue" on their finger. I demo
    putting the glue on the actual piece to glue down and then pressing it to
    what I am gluing to. I also explain why I use my pinkie finger and not my
    thumb. Too much glue just makes a "big giant swimming pool of glue" oooooo!.
    Nothing sticks and it is icky! I think they really get the picture with my
    elaborations! I dramatize my explanation, and with each gluing lesson I
    remind them of the pinkie finger. They use damp paper towels to wipe their
    pinkie during gluing. It has worked miracles. I don't know if it works for
    everyone, but it sure has worked well for me. I have also noticed that they
    remember the "itsy bitsy teenie weenie drop of glue" later when they do start
    using the glue bottles. I have got 5th graders that remind me still! Good
    luck.

    Heather :)

    ---