Re: 5 Most Influential Artists

From: Dennis Freeman (freemad)
Date: Wed Aug 09 2000 - 17:34:10 PDT

    on 8/9/00 3:37 PM, Michal at whest177 wrote:

    > If your students were to leave your art class only knowing 5
    > artists, which 5 would you consider the most important that they know?
    > Which 5 would you be embarrassed if they did not know them? We roughly decided
    upon DaVinci,
    > Michaelangelo, Rembrandt, VanGogh, and Picasso.
    >

    > ---

    Hmmm.... All dead white guys, eh? Really, they are all worthy, and 5 seems
    like an artificially low number, but do we really need 2 of the "Ninja
    Turtles"? Let's replace DaVinci ( I hear the screams already!), and let
    Michelangelo stand for the Renaissance. Then we could put in someone
    (Hokusai?) who was influential on Van Gogh, and therefore Picasso. There
    needs to be some recognition that the entirety of art history did not happen
    in Europe - in fact, the idea that just a few (5?) "geniuses" subsume the
    history of art is a very Eurocentric idea. Much of the best of the world's
    art was done by anonymous artists or groups.

    ---