re: things kids can/can't do

From: Teri Mason (terily)
Date: Thu Aug 10 2000 - 07:29:07 PDT

    One thing I HAVE to teach to my Ks is tying. A wonderful soul donated
    about 35 aprons to my program. They are all adult-sized, regular tie
    aprons. The part around the neck doesn't tie, but around the back, it
    does. I teach them to hold the front of the apron under their chin (so
    it won't hang down so far on their little bodies), wrap the ends around
    the back and up to the front (criss-crossed in back) and then we tie in
    front. That way they can see what they are doing. At the start of the
    year, it's very frustrating to me because there are many who can't tie
    (or they do that cheating thing where they make two loops and cross
    them, but it comes untied immediately). But by the end of the year,
    even the velcro-shoe wearers can tie. I know it's not ALL my doing, but
    I do take some pride in it, as do the kids!
    Oh, we also use rulers in my K class (for making lines, not
    measuring...that comes later)

    teri

    ---