Re: First day of school

From: Michal (whest177)
Date: Thu Aug 10 2000 - 08:27:55 PDT

    My first lesson is always distributing portfolios and gluing on the covers. The
    portfolios are 12x18" and we glue on legal sized color sheets that I create
    that have the elements illustrated as well as a color wheel. I like the
    students to have easy access to this information all year. (This is K-6).
    Gluing this sheet on requires one TINY drop of glue in each corner, which kids
    just don't seem to know unless you tell/show them.
        Our first project is usually something fairly simple. I have done color
    mixing, which has always been successful. K - divide your paper into 6
    sections. Paint 3 sections yellow (cake tempera), now paint 2 empty sections
    red, plus paint red over one of your yellow sections. Now paint your last empty
    section blue, plus one yellow section and one red section. What colors did you
    make? What color is your water? (brown)
        2nd grade draws and paints fish using the same idea as above. Upper levels
    vary on ideas. I have had them make simple color wheels using 9" design circles
    or just on paper. Squirt 3 primary colors of liquid tempera on paper and have
    them mix the 3 secondary, etc. I try to keep these pretty much non-objective
    except for the drawing of the fish.
    ~Michal