Re: My class loads - middle school art teachers

From: Michal (whest177)
Date: Wed Aug 09 2000 - 17:30:08 PDT

    Two years ago, I was opposite band, so my class was called non-band. I was up to
    33 kids that hour 7th and 8th grade combined - all the non-band kids. What made
    it really bad was I had these counter/islands in the center of my room (old
    home-ec room) so I couldn't even see all the kids at once, no matter where I was.
    I didn't even have 33 chairs, and no space to put one if I acquired one. It was
    total chaos. I complained to the principal almost daily about how unfair it was
    to the kids who chose art over band. My principal finally visited my class and he
    realized that I wasn't just complaining for the sake of complaining. He had no
    idea my class had grown to that size, nor how bad the seating was. He focused on
    improving my class situation the following year and I ended up with 1/3rd of the
    students for 12 weeks. I had honestly forgotten how much I enjoyed middle school
    kids until last year!
    ~Michal