Re: Sketchbooks

From: Daceballos
Date: Wed Aug 09 2000 - 15:22:47 PDT

    Robin:
        I teach High School Intro. to Art and students keep all their work in a
    portfolio made out of tag board with their name on it. They keep it until the
    end of the semester. They are free to take it home to show their parents at
    that point. If they want to take their work home previous to that, I ask that
    they check with me (so I can verify that I've entered a grade).
        Some work I keep to enter in shows. There are prizes and awards which
    always enhance the program and encourage students to pursue art as a career
    choice. I always return this work to the student if they request it and they
    usually do. Sometimes I will ask a student for work (to use as a sample), so
    it goes into my "collection".
        Unfortunately, most students don't take their work home to show their
    parents. They may like an individual piece, but there's a lot that stays in
    the classroom. I keep it. I never throw out student work during the semester
    I'll wait until after the semester is over, and will go through the piles and
    cull them for samples. Sometimes I'll have stacks of papier-maché masks or
    plaster sculptures lurking in the room because students will come back and
    ask for theirs' later on. By the end of the semester though, if they haven't
    taken it and if I don't want it, it goes into the dumpster. That's the story

    ---