ONE MORE FOR FREE SPEECH?

From: Lawrence A. Parker (occti)
Date: Wed Aug 09 2000 - 14:26:19 PDT

      Greetings Al Gore Staff,

          We have been hearing a LOT about "EDUCATION"; unfortunately, used as
    an umbrella word! The next time you discuss issues on education with the
    vice president, hit on these points:
        a.. Since first year teachers tend to teach as they have been taught,
    schools of education are up for practice revision. Most are "low man on
    campus", tending to ignore other departments, i.e. psychology, i.e. setting
    up their own versions of theories of learning.
        a.. The S.A.T. practically ignores "three dimensional thinking" with
    only one non-verbal section dealing with geometric shapes; flying in the
    face of a highly impacted visual age.
        a.. For the past forty years, instruction in Visual and Performing Arts,
    has been missing from elementary school core curriculums, and elementary
    teaching method courses are not mandated by schools of education, leaving
    elementary teacher candidates visual illiterates.
        a.. Computer education completely ignores the fact that it is a visual
    medium being taught by instructors who know little if anything about visual
    communication. The end result; only one computer graphic design was given an
    award at this years' international graphics conference.
      CARRY ON,

      Robert Beeching, Curriculum Designer
      www.robprod.com