Re: 5 Most Influential Artists

From: henry taylor (taylorh)
Date: Wed Aug 09 2000 - 12:32:09 PDT

    I'm glad to see that at least someone looked beyond the
    shores of the Atlantic and Western Mediterranean.

    Were I to limit myself to Western art and focused on a
    stricter meaning of INFLUENTIAL I wouldn't need to
    cross the Atlantic.

    Artists who influenced art (painting) the most were the
    Gothics and Rennaissance artists.

    + Giotto--1267
    --1336
    -- for developments in showing the human figure

    + Jan and Hubert van Eyck
    --1390-1432
    -- for developments in spatial organization

    + Fillipo Brunelleschi
    --1377-1446
    -- for the development of modern perspective

    + Leonardo da Vinci
    --1452-1519
    -- for anatomical/mechanical studies from life and for
    going far beyond the traditional artists studio

    + Rembrandt van Rijn
    --1606-1669
    -- for laying the foundations of Modern art and
    abstract perception and for responding to foveal and
    macular vision

    -----------------

    5 isn't really enough. I'd like to include

    + Claude Monet 1840-1926 and
    + George Seurat 1859-1891
    -- for studying light and vision

    and the Late Moderns:

    + Wassily Kandinsky 1866-1944
    --for making the break to abstraction

    + Marcel Duchamp 1887-1968
    --for shattering the barriers enveloping "fine art"

    + Pablo Picasso 1881-1974
    --For escaping the bounds of westen art and permitting
    the artist to play anywhere.

    AND If I HAD to reduce it to two it would be Picasso
    and da Vinci simply for giving us permission to go
    beyond what is expected of artist. A difficult
    challenge ever since western artists sought to become
    urban professionals in Egypt and Mesopotamia.

    -henry

    ---