my newsletter (text only)

From: Janjarreau
Date: Tue Aug 08 2000 - 23:05:39 PDT

    Enclosed is my first newsletter. I don't know how to transfer the graphics,
    so it looks way different from the hard copy. I also had to take out some of
    the cute stuff because I thought it should be more business like. I also
    finally got a copy of the real rules and consequences / discipline from a
    handbook we just got today. I have been asking for this for 2 weeks. Good
    luck to everybody on the first days. I will get my first kids Monday!
    Janice

    Dear Parents,
    I am looking forward to an exciting year and I am thrilled your child has
    elected to take art! This year your child will be exposed to Art History,
    Art Production, Art Critique and Aesthetics, as well as the Elements and
    Principles of Design. This follows right along with the Mississippi National
    Standards and the Disciplined Based Art Education Curriculum set by the Getty
    Education Institute of the Arts.
    Please feel free to phone me or set and appointment for a conference if any
    need or concerns arise. I am looking forward to meeting you and getting to
    know your child.
    Sincerely,

    Janice Jarreau

    Supply List
    Sketchbook (multipurpose approx. 9x12)
    three ring binder (1" with plenty of paper)
    pocket subject dividers (need 3) (Try Office Max)
    ink pen (for taking notes)
    Sharpie markers (2 black)
    colored markers (10 count Crayola Classic)
    colored pencils (12 count)
    pencils (preferably drawing pencils with various softness of lead, but any
    will do)
    eraser
    scissors (full size)
    construction paper
    (supplies continued)
    index cards (3X5 ruled, 100) (for Art History)
    2 white poster boards (to create a portfolio)
    Elmer's Glue (4 oz.)
    set of watercolor paint (with brush) (child's choice)
    2 Ziplock freezer bags (one gallon size to store supplies)
    *paper towels and bar soap donations are needed for whole class use. Cash
    donations welcomed.
    Please note: I know this time of the year is costly because I went through
    this with my children. I am working hard to collect resources from
    businesses, family and friends, as well as spending a lot of my own money.
    Please provide these needed supplies for your child. I will label and store
    them in a safe place in the art room. Thank you in advance for helping to
    make this year special for all of us.

    Classroom Rules
    1. Keep moving in the hall and be in the room when the bell rings or you
    will be considered tardy.
    2. Stop, look and listen while teacher is speaking, demonstrating and during
    all announcements.
    3. Never chew gum, eat or drink in the classroom! I will reward only those
    who follow this rule.
    4. Always respect Teacher, classmates, art equipment and supplies.
    5. Paint brushes, tables and classroom must be clean and orderly before being
    dismissed.
    6. The bell does not dismiss class. The teacher will dismiss class when
    EVERYONE is seated.
    7. I will not accept artwork if it displays graphic violence, sexual content,
    pornography, drug and alcohol abuse, tobacco use and suicide. Symbols (gangs,
    satanic, etc.) cause distraction and will not be tolerated. Your safety is
    our biggest concern.

    Discipline / Consequences
    1st. Consequence: I will give you "the look" (both eyes arched, or
    sometimes one will be squinted) It is not a pretty sight. This usually takes
    care of the problem.
    2nd. Consequence: A verbal warning will be given. You have disappointed
    me. (sad face)
    3rd. Consequence: I will contact your parents.
    4th. Consequence: Parent contact and before school detention. A parental
    conference may be needed.
    5th. Consequence: Continued bad behavior will result in Principal Referral,
    ISS and or OSS. This incident will be on your permanent record for all times.
     It may come back to haunt you if you should ever decide to run for political
    office.
    Recyclable Materials

    Magazines (especially National Geographic)
    plastic containers and jars (with lids)
    brown paper bags
    cardboard tubes (all sizes)
    oatmeal and Pringles containers
    wood scraps
    wire (all sizes)
    ceramic pieces
    house paint (nothing toxic)
    paint brushes (any size)
    Linoleum or vinyl flooring
    carpet samples
    wall paper books
    mat board
    tennis balls
    leather
    ribbon
    burlap
    string
    buttons
    beads or broken jewelry
    window screens
    fabric or linens (cleaned)
    shells
    Styrofoam cups, plates and meat trays (washed)
    yarn or cord
    Popsicle sticks (washed)
    Mirrors (for self portraits)
    Blender, Hair dryer, lamps or Electric Skillet (working)

    ---