Re: Paperclay

From: halexa (halexa)
Date: Tue Aug 08 2000 - 17:46:22 PDT

    Hi,
        I often use some percent of paper pulp in my clay. It is great. Large
    amounts of pulp make a poofy/ Egyptian paste textured mix that has a
    mind/springiness of its own. I enjoy working with it, but have not
    considered it for my students. It develops an odor in a week or so. I
    don't know if my students would recognize its benefits without more
    substantial clay experience. In the bisque firing the fiber burns out and
    can trip smoke detectors. EEE! I like paper clay; it makes the keeping wet
    and the drying of large pieces easy to manage without daily devotion.
    Heather Alexander
    maker of small and medium sized ceramic objects
    school starts 8/21 here, cleaning out the cobwebs
    halexa

    ---