need management ideas for comp. graphics

From: Michelle H. Harrell (michelle_h_harrell)
Date: Tue Aug 08 2000 - 12:51:45 PDT

    Hello fellow artsednetters!
    I'm seeking some practical advice on teaching my computer graphics class.
    Not lessons really, I've gotten great ideas from many of you on the list. I
    need some advice on actually teaching the class. I teach 26 advanced comp.
    graphics students on 20 IBM computers. The kids say the last teacher just
    let them "play" with Photoshop last year and they are resisting my
    structured teaching style with a vengence.

    It's so different from my art classes I don't know how to begin orginizing
    the class time. Our little warm-ups (like I might do in Art- but on the
    computer) have ended up lasting the entire period. What's the "flow" of the
    class (warmu-ups, demo, independent time, etc.)? How do you arrange to have
    students share computers? For those of you with Waccom tablets and pens, how
    you do distribute them? I can't leave them out because there's a another
    keyboarding class in the same room during the day. I'm really looking for
    simple classroom rules and procedures for running the class smoothly.

    Thanks- these advanced kids THINK they know everything and are driving me
    crazy!! Michelle