Re: limited number of subbing days or they'll HAVE to hire me!

From: Litesal (litesal)
Date: Mon Aug 07 2000 - 09:24:57 PDT

      Hi all!
      I'm doing a long term sub job for one of our art teachers going on pregnancy leave. I have a BA in art with a major in art ed.
      Anyhoo-- I was just informed of my pay and limited days I can teach. For the first 15 days, I get $50- $75. 16 to 60 days $60 -85. and from 61 days on, I get 1/2 of a regular BA. I only get to teach for 150 days, which brings me to spring break (she was a half-time teacher). And then I can't teach in the district again for the rest of the school year, or they HAVE to hire me.

      Just wondering if this is the same for some of you out there? With the shortage of subs in Michigan, you would think they could make an exception and let me go for the entire year. I'm just thinking of the kids and the breakdown of the class if they are going to have many different subs for the last two months of the year. OH NO! Think of the art show. Maybe I'll just have to "volunteer" my time to make sure that goes well. There is another teacher there who is wonderful, and will help out.

      Dear Christy,

      In our district you can long term sub for one year, then if the position continues the next year, they have to hire you.
      If all goes well, perhaps they'll keep you on because they'll want to hire you.

      Good luck! Leah

    ---