refractory clay - crucibles

From: Dennis Freeman (freemad)
Date: Mon Aug 07 2000 - 19:15:49 PDT

    I'm not sure if there are any ceramic engineers out there, or maybe just
    someone with the experience, but I have a need for information.

    Does anyone have a clay body formula for clay which is refractory enough to
    be used for bronze crucibles? We have a large homemade centrifugal caster
    (essentially a giant-size jewelry caster) which requires custom-made
    crucibles. I can make & mold the crucible, but out of what? We need to be
    able to pour molten bronze into these, then use a torch to keep it molten
    until the caster is released. Any ideas out there?

    This is a pretty unique request, but I am constantly amazed by the knowledge
    on this list. Thanks in advance. - Dennis in Wyo.

    ---