Re: skills- reply to Peter

From: Litesal (litesal)
Date: Mon Aug 07 2000 - 08:26:53 PDT

     . .If we, indeed, "teach how to learn", then we fly in the face
    > of research that tells us this is not how we learn. "So, what is a
    complete
    > education? In the year 2000, what is most important for our young people
    > know? A ruler?" Does this describe an outcome based education? Are we
    asking
    > what the outcome should be instead of knowing what we want? Your
    frustration
    > with hs students with little or no written communication skills mirrors
    that
    > of college professors. In graduate school ('99)I encountered colleagues
    who
    > taught school and at the same time could not write a coherent paper. I
    don't
    > know how to categorize specific areas of knowledge that students should
    have
    > when they graduate from public school... but I do know that if we don't
    teach
    > basic skills to elementary students we won't be getting much from hs
    > graduates.

    This is all very fascinating . . . I'm beginning to think that a good
    education is
    hit or miss, unfortunately. What I mean, basically, is those of us who can
    write,
    who know basic math concepts, who can think, were lucky enough to have had
    teachers who could teach (and of course, were born with or taught the
    ability
    to understand). This is true, at least, in my case. I think all teachers
    know that
    there are basic things that students need to know in order to engage in
    "life long
    learning" (our school's catch phrase) that meets their personal needs. The
    trick
    is, how do we go about teaching these things. I can think back to those
    teachers, no
    matter what the subject, that made it impossible not to learn. They passed
    on
    their excitement, their conviction that the information they had to share
    was
    relevant in my life. Honestly, I've had teachers that made grammar
    completely
    exciting. Problem is, different people need different things from their
    instructors,
    the trick is to find out what every student's needs are, a daunting task.
    That's why
    I say it seems "hit or miss," some of us are lucky to be matched with
    teachers
    that meet our needs, and we learn (it also helps if we have an innate need
    learn). So, it seems this cycle will go on and on, we will learn about many
    educational "magic bullets," some will work for us, some will not. However,
    education will never be an exact science that turns out perfect, quality
    controlled products that meet everyone's needs. We are human, it is not
    possible.

    One final note, we learn what we need to learn . . . all we have to do is
    convince
    our students that they need what we are giving them, it's as simple as that
    (vbg).

    Leah

    ---