Re: Things kids can not do, was: Printing grids on images

From: halexa (halexa)
Date: Tue Aug 08 2000 - 08:19:56 PDT

    Hi ,
    I teach at a middle school and have vary small classes; last year was my
    first year teaching. My principal came by for a "pop" observation the day
    the students were drawing the grids over their self portrait photographs and
    the corresponding grid on their paper. I had already presented the lesson
    twice that morning. Wouldn't you know they were stumped. My evaluation went
    smoothly. But from that day on, I incorporated rulers and measuring tasks
    in a the lesson plan as often as possible.
    Related measuring marathon:constructing stretched canvases.
         I rounded up miter boxes, and all the tools. The students built their
    own stretcher frames:
    "success comes in cans" "measure twice cut once" "over so it so
    you don't have to do it over" etc.
      They all accomplished constructed rectangles. Their paintings were great
    but the rectangles were a fabulous triumph.

    Heather Alexander
    maker of small and medium sized ceramic objects
    halexa

    ---