Things kids can not do, was: Printing grids on images

From: Litesal (litesal)
Date: Mon Aug 07 2000 - 07:44:31 PDT

    One year we made mobiles in third
    > grade and it was a nightmare teaching kids to tie. Janet

    I've had this experience too. Due to time restrictions, I've shied away
    from teaching
    things that are frustrating to me and my students. However, this discussion
    on
    measuring, tying, etc. has made me realize that if kids can't do something,
    but should
    be able to do something, then I should be teaching it no matter how
    frustrating it is.
    Now, I just need to find out what kids SHOULD be able to do at what age
    (developmentally). I don't want to present things that are too hard and set
    unrealistic expectations (which is a fear I have). Does anyone know
    something I
    can read to find this information (not stages of art development, I know
    that)?
    I think that in the interest of providing a pleasant, positive environment,
    many art
    teachers like lessons that are geared towards sure success. But what are we
    really teaching if we just have our students do what is easy for them?
    Thanks, Leah

    ---