painting flower pots with acrylic

From: Litesal (litesal)
Date: Mon Aug 07 2000 - 06:58:39 PDT

    Dear Roberta (and anyone else who has done this),

    The classroom teachers in my school often do this around Mother's Day, and
    they ask
    me for advice. I've had problems with this technique in the past due to the
    fact that
    moisture seeps through the terra cotta, and makes the acrylic paint bubble
    and peel.
    Is there any way to prevent this. I thought perhaps if the acrylic designs
    were not painted on
    the whole pot, so water could evaporate in some places, the paint would stay
    on?
    Am I on the right track, or are there other tricks?

    Thanks, Leah

    > My art club decorated and sold small flower pots - we looked at wild
    colorful
    > Mexican
    > inspired designs and the students painted the pots in acrylics. The pots
    were
    > your basic terra cotta and I found them in a garage sale very cheap. We
    sold
    > them
    > for $2.00 to $5.00 depending on size. Your auction chair could probably
    find
    > these
    > in bulk very cheaply. Roberta

    ---