Drawing Ideas (long)

From: Janjarreau
Date: Mon Aug 07 2000 - 19:38:19 PDT

    Dear Bill,
    Here is samples from the list I had stored in my files. I also suggest you
    teach proper proportions of humans. Look to Da vinci.
    Janice
    Drawing Lesson ideas

    I feel that you can incorporate the Elements and Principles of Design into
    many projects, because the elements and principles are the structure of art
    and therefore are a part of all good works.

    In my foundation year we do a non-objective design based on the elements and
    principles with colored pencil and finders to see and find the principles in
    a non-objective design.

    WE do a contour, basic forms, and then still life for drawing,
    Three color plates with a composition to explain each plate,
    ( color wheel/chroma, intensity, values),
    perspective (1 and 2 point),
    stylized design with a crayon resist,
    and pen and ink.

    These are the concepts to be taught and the rest is up to you.

    A sequence of drawing exercises that I use in Art 1 that gives a
    progression of thing to create drawing skills.

    1. Contour drawing
    2. Contour drawing with gradations in the negative space.
    3. Basic forms-drawing from how light hits the objects
        including the 5 principles of shading.
        a. Highlight
        b. Shade
        c. Shadows
        d. Reflected Light
        e. Backshading to show the edge of the highlighted side.
    4. Simple still life of objects like forms, such as apples, oranges, lemons,
    bananas, bottles, vases, cups etc.
    5. Major still life with wood, glass, burlap,etc textures including lines and
    different pencil techniques.

    These are spread out over the year in Art 1 and are done with a number 2
    pencil, ebony black pencil, tortillons, cottonballs, paper towels, and
    Kneaded erasers. I use Strathmore Alexis 400 paper for the bigger and more
    advanced drawings.

    My friend and coworker, Bob Capitolo will be writing a book this summer, of
    the foundation year in high school art, that we hope to get printed by Davis
    publishing.

    Ken Schwab
    San Jose CA

    I purchased a magazine, from the editors of "The Artist's Magazine", titled
    "Getting Started in Art." It has a neat article on getting started in
    drawing. Hope this helps.
    Margaret

    I have been teaching a foundation art class (9th grade) from many years. I
    start out the year with a sampling of different drawing styles. Gestures of
    bottles and a still life, contour of sneakers (that seems so common it's
    traditional!) and then value studies of tools and such that I find at the
    local surplus store.These they have to enlarge. Then depending on the class,
    there might be contours of leaves and plants, value studies in white pancil
    on black paper of blocks and contours of still life. This usually takes the
    first 10 weeks. By Then they are fairly confident to draw almost anything I
    present them with. Later on in the year we do gesture and contour drawings of
    faces and full figures. After an introduction to Kirschner and others of De
    Bruke, Emile Nolde. The drawings are translated into a print using linoleum.
    So the foundation in different drawing styles gives them an ability to
    explore in more depth later on. Also since I start with gestures in black and
    grey pastels then move to contours in pen, the students do not get their
    hands on a pencil until the value studies. By this time they are all really
    eager to use something that is not messy and they can erase! I have so much
    fun!

    Yvette

     <A HREF="http://www.public.iastate.edu/~design/ART/NAB/brainb1.html">Click
    here: Brain Based Ed Definition</A> This site,
    http://www.public.iastate.edu/~design/ART/NAB/brainb1.html -may offer you
    some help and ideas--Ceil Lyden

    ---
      To those of you who were interested in my  instructions for the creative
    "doodle- here they are:
    1. Make a short line
    2. Add another line to the short one
    3. Add a third line, giving it a slight curve
    4. Add a half dozen lines,all based on the first three
    5. Connect the free ends of the lines
    6. Distribute some dots in the drawing
    7. Project radiating lines from parts of the drawing
    8. Place little circles at the ends of some of the lines
    9. Add short dashes to some of the small circles
    10. Connect the ends of the dashes with curves

    I do this as an opening exercise in my Art II (high school) classes. I read a series of directions. I do not answer any questions, but I will repeat. When all are finished "doing"the series of directions, I have kids put them up on the board. We look at all of them. Then I ask "What is alike about all of these?" "what is different?" "Which one(s) look "good"? Whis ones are "bad?", etc. Then I summarize by telling the class that this is a perfect example of what art is... each student heard the same words, saw me giving the same directions, used the same media yet each "doodle" is unique. Each artist interpreted the information differently- it went in through ears, into brain, out fingers and came out uniquely theirs! This is what I want from each of you! Your own interpretation of whatever I ask you to do. I NEVER want yours to look like your neighbors, yet it should always have some of the same elements and characteristics. The kids then are asked to add lines, color, shapes, etc. to this "doodle" to make it into AN ARTWORK. The product may be realistic, abstract or nonobjective. This is their first assignment in my class. We then critique the "artworks" in a couple of days and bring in criteria such as craftsmanship, composition, skill, creativity, commitment, etc. This sets the stage for grading--- establishes what kind of criteria I look for in other work during the year. All who do this assignment get an A to start the qtr. with. It is a great non-threatening activity! Marcia

    Another effective lesson is to work with a language arts class. They will take a photo of a person from a newspaper or magazine and describe that person. They must describe in detail what the person looks like, what they do and other asst. facts. The essays are then distributed to the drawing class and those students must then draw the person. The language arts students must then "find" their person. The results are then exhibited with the essay next to the drawing. I have seen this done with wonderful results. Judy jnagel

    Start them off with good drawing pencils and work on realistic/dimensional drawing and rendering, progress to charcoal then ink then ink washes, introduce color in whatever mediums you can both dry and wet mediums, finally do mixed media combinations, last oils and or acrylics or any other painting mediums available. Good luck.

    ---