Re: Junior High

From: VanGghsEar
Date: Mon Aug 07 2000 - 05:42:00 PDT

    I love 7th grade art class..One of the best things about them is they are not
    the oldest and yet not the youngest in the school. They are pretty calm as
    fara middle school goes compared to 6th and 8th. I also loved them in math
    and science when I taught those for half a year....I taught at a school most
    everyone felt was the worst in the county as far as discipline (It has since
    been cleaned up ....and I have moved on to a great middle school!)

    Tell your daughter to be tough but fair and establish PROCEDURES the first
    day which are maintained though out the year. I am a huge fan of Harry Wong,
    get her the book "The first days of school". I also made sure I was on the
    phone to their homes for positive and as much as the negative as possible
    and worked with other teachers to tag team the discipline problems. I found
    prior calling for a positive really helped when the negative happened.
    Parents love to hear good stuff. Unfortunately our limited time these days
    lends itself to only negative.

    Don't smile until Christmas...LOL...I was told that too my first year. Here
    is another oldie but goodie...."Say what you mean and mean what you say."

    I hope this helps. I am in fact one of those teachers who actually likes
    middle school over any other grades and 7th is my favorite.

    Good luck to her.
    Vinnie's Ear

    ---