Re: artsednet digest: August 03, 2000

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz)
Date: Sun Aug 06 2000 - 19:48:20 PDT

    msqu wrote:

    > Are we allowed to teach Hinduism and Buddhism in the public schools? I
    > thought we had to censor religion.

    I think you're asking: Are we allowed to teach the _art_ associated with
    those religions? As in Christianity, there is so much you must know
    about a religion in order to understand the art. I don't think there's
    a need to call it "Hindu art" or "Buddhist art." You are simply
    teaching the art of other countries, which are often associated with the
    local religion.

    Rather than study one particular country, which may look to certain
    parents like you're indoctrinating their kids, why not concentrate on
    universal themes like "war," or "childhood," or "animals," and then show
    how a variety of cultures have dealt with the issue?

    Maggie

    ---