Re: skills- reply to Peter

From: PHimmelber
Date: Sun Aug 06 2000 - 13:16:25 PDT

    Patty... are we not talking about the same thing at different levels? You are
    concerned with time lines where we elementary folk are concerned with the
    length of lines. If we, indeed, "teach how to learn", then we fly in the face
    of research that tells us this is not how we learn. "So, what is a complete
    education? In the year 2000, what is most important for our young people to
    know? A ruler?" Does this describe an outcome based education? Are we asking
    what the outcome should be instead of knowing what we want? Your frustration
    with hs students with little or no written communication skills mirrors that
    of college professors. In graduate school ('99)I encountered colleagues who
    taught school and at the same time could not write a coherent paper. I don't
    know how to categorize specific areas of knowledge that students should have
    when they graduate from public school... but I do know that if we don't teach
    basic skills to elementary students we won't be getting much from hs
    graduates.

    ---