skills- reply to Peter

From: Patricia Knott (pknott)
Date: Sun Aug 06 2000 - 12:08:26 PDT

    > In our rush to teach efficiently perhaps we are not
    > giving our students a complete education. Peter

    Is this not the question every administration is grappling with? There is
    TOOO much information and little time.
    It seems to me, what I gather when I can weed through all the educational
    jargon, is that the current mode is to not teach specific information but to
    teach how to learn. We are supposed to give the skills to know how to
    investigate what is relevant to, and useful in the student's pursuit of
    whatever avenue they take. "Life-long learning skills" I think they call it.
    Yeah, and I'm not sure how that is accomplished in all these group learning
    activities. They sure do learn how to depend on the responsible ones.

    What perplexes me, way much more than not knowing how to use a ruler, is
    that I have high school students that have no sense of a time frame in
    history. When I talk about art history, I spend much time trying to get the
    context so they can have some appreciation of the art produced.
    I also give too much instruction in writing. (BTW Any of you out there
    starting an AP Art History class, you better be prepared to teach them how
    to write.)

    So, what is a complete education? In the year 2000, what is most important
    for our young people to know? A ruler?

    Patty

    ---