re: self portrait question

From: Teri Mason (terily)
Date: Sun Aug 06 2000 - 11:50:31 PDT

    I am behind a few days and don't know who originally asked for self
    portrait ideas. Here are a few...

    mosaics - cut 1/2" squares of multi-cultural constr. paper, they draw
    themselves and use mosaic pieces to fill in, incl backgrounds. I did
    this with 3rd+ and had success.

    clowns - design yourself as a clown, using colored pastels or oil
    pastels on black. use paper cut-outs to add emphasis for cheeks, etc.
    successful with K-1

    van gogh - paint self with fingerpaint, using fingers and thick paint to
    leave swirls and impasto-style strokes on paper. good for 1-2s

    printmaking - using scrap cardboard or matboard, cut 5x7" pieces. cut
    facial features, lines of emphasis (smile lines, etc), hair out of
    fun-foam. glue onto matboard, seal with old housepaint (cheaper than
    art paint). Roll through printing press or print by hand. These were
    really cool by 5th graders.

    medieval - draw yourself as a character from medieval times: court
    jester, princess, knight, king, etc. we talked about the movie
    Everafter (many had seen it) to get inspired. Also the book by Aliki, "
    A Medieval Feast" Students painted with tempera or acrylic, including a
    border patterned after those used in tapestries and illuminated
    manuscripts.

    shrinky dinks - draw yourself with colored pencils and then shrink to
    make a keychain. Great around gift-giving time. be sure to punch a hole
    BEFORE shrinking :-)

    those are a few I've done. good luck! teri

    ---