Re: Local District control

From: PHimmelber
Date: Sun Aug 06 2000 - 11:31:53 PDT

    Larry, in contrast to Jeannie in PA, I think the power of local district
    control serves the needs of the district. Overly simplistic? Having
    experienced first hand the ineptitudes of government as a Vietnam era GI and
    as an aerospace engineer under government contract, I don't see that there is
    any ability in the federal government to give us "universal education." We
    cant teach our students everything... so if some kids in Pennsylvania or
    Midland Tx dont know about France... well I guess they will get by. I do
    agree that the local curriculum addresses the needs of global corporations
    here in Midland and leaves out the cooks and mechanics that we rely on so
    heavily. This is an awfully big bite for us to chew on Larry... couldnt you
    come up with something more manageable. Smiling. Peter

    ---