Re: artsednet digest: measuring August 05, 2000

From: Lyden1819
Date: Sun Aug 06 2000 - 09:19:47 PDT

    This measuring discussion has inspired me to discuss this with our entire art
    staff with an eye on including the instruction of measurement in our visual
    arts curriculum--I, too, have had similar experiences with children who have
    no idea how to use a ruler and feel it is important to give them the
    experience and the confidence to use this simple tool. When I begin a project
    that requires measuring, I teach the whole ruler first. Then I tell the
    students that if I were a "ruler maker", I would draw the inch lines longer
    and place the numbers directly under the lines. I would place a 0 right at
    the edge; and then we do that, using markers. I know the placement of those
    numbers confuses many kids and throws off their measurements. After I have
    checked everyone's measurements, we proceed with the project. PS-I've printed
    just about everyones' responses to this issue and will share them with our
    art staff--Ceil Lyden

    ---