Re: grids and measuring

From: Sandy Sasso (sassoart)
Date: Sun Aug 06 2000 - 10:13:33 PDT

    on 8/5/00 7:47 AM, RAV1960 at RAV1960 wrote:

    > I have my students "measure" alot. I start in kindergarten and first grade
    > measuring for scale, proportion, etc. with fingers or their pencils. I have
    > second and third grade use rulers to measure and draw borders or frames...and
    > to measure and draw and cut out their own shapes as well, I even did a 6X6
    > grid with third grade and they had to draw the grid. Fourth and fith grade
    > use the ruler in my class alot, as well as a protractor and compass. We use
    > these tools for everything from drawing the grids to linear perspective
    > drawings to lessons on scale, design lessons, etc. Classroom teachers in my
    > buildings often shy away from extensive use of the ruler, because so many
    > kids can't use them. I think of measuring, using the ruler, using scissors
    > (I don't precut ANYTHING), to be basic skills and try to reinforce them early
    > and often.
    >
    > ---

    With fifth grade students I teach a lesson on 1 point perspective. Getting
    them to draw a horizon line was difficult for them (!?). So I made these
    little tools from foam core that I call "Handy Dandy Artist Tools". They
    are approximately 4"x11". i show them that by lining them up on one side of
    the paper they can draw a line perpendicular to the edge. I even do an
    entire lesson just on using the tool. But as I walk around the room I see
    that over half of them are "cheating". they either don't understand or they
    are too lazy to simply line up the edge to get the perpendicular. I am
    always amazed and I show them how often I use this technology as a quick and
    low tech way of drawing parallel lines....but they usually seem largely
    unmoved. My husband teaches woodworking at the college level in an art
    department. He has found that he has to spend at least one or two classes
    covering the basics of using a ruler, but the students (19 year olds) then
    dont understand fractions and how to work with them.

    Sad.

    Sandy

    ---