wheel bats

From: Jennifer Buerkle (buerklej.fl.us)
Date: Sun Aug 06 2000 - 06:48:18 PDT

    I am teaching a class in ceramics which will involve a lot of wheel work this
    year. I'd like to make some bats so we don't have to mess around with taking wet
    pieces off the head. What do you all suggest, plaster or masonite? And if
    plaster, what do you use as a mold? I remember years ago Sax or Nasco used to
    carry a rubber wheel bat mold, but I don't see them anymore. Any other
    suggestions for working with 5-8th graders on the wheel?

    Jen in Tallahassee

    ---