re: measuring

From: mcgugan (mcgugan)
Date: Sun Aug 06 2000 - 05:14:34 PDT

    I had some students who were marvelous when it came to measuring.

     We were using giant sheets of corrugated cardboard that we were making into
    square columns for - you guessed it - the prom. I was pushed for time and
    trying to figure how to explain the measurements and snapping a chalk line
    when two of my guys piped up "We can do that - we worked in construction".

    This past semester another student often bemoaned sheets of paper that I had
    cut on my papercutter (must have been out-of-kilter, couldn't be ME cutting
    crooked!). Anyway, it became a running joke between us as he painstakinly
    measured the sheets to get them accurate. He spent a lot of time in his
    father's business - I think it was rebuilding axles or something.

    ---