Re: Auction Item Ideas

From: Janjarreau
Date: Sun Aug 06 2000 - 01:16:43 PDT

    Here was a suggestion I saved from Ellen. Fundraising ideas.

    Art room - auction items
    Yes - we have had several auctions. This past year we raised over $80,000.
    People from the community give donations and each class creates something
    to donate. The first year we had one I made the projects with each class
    (over 25) - then we went to me helping parent volunteers - then to me doing
    group projects (like the lockers ) with 6,7 and 8 and one or two other
    classes.
    My biggest project this year was a wall hanging that I appliquéd then put in
    my room for embellishment. "Art from the Heart" - it had nine blocks in
    Amish colors and funky hearts appliquéd - and then I had bowls of beads and
    buttons. We (parent visitors, teachers and students) spent 3 weeks sewing
    buttons and beads on. the primary classes made bead tassels to hang from
    the bottom (a parent/ teacher's aide/ seamstress helped create a zig zag
    bottom - I used black and white stripe fabric. It was great - and we (the
    school) got $2000 for it. I hated to give it up! I have lots of projects
    that we have done - the key is age appropriate and something that a group
    can work on. I made a game table with the 5th grade - an old door - some
    paint and sculpey clay game pieces (backgammon triangles were palm trees and
    waves - the pieces were fish.)
    Ellen

    ---